Thursday 31 March 2011

Old is in


The Cord has an article talking about how popular music today is dead. While I agree with most of the author's opinions (autotune is not music Britney Spears),  I really liked the opening line:
"As I scroll through my iTunes playlist, I easily notice how old the majority of my music is"
I definitely relate to that. I have a disappointing habit of discovering bands after they've broken up (many before I was even born). This made me realize that brand management never stops, especially for musicians. With technology, its easy to make songs, concert footage, music videos, etc. available to the masses.

But why are some bands, like the Rolling Stones, able to have huge careers spanning decades while others, like Meatloaf, go through waves of  hits and flops, while still others, like Nick Drake, only gain mass appeal posthumously?

Part of it is adaptability and creativity. Musicians have to continuously grow and change with their target audience while staying true to themselves.

But its also about being memorable and building a strong fan base. The amount of fan made videos on YouTube and groups on Facebook is amazing. Elvis was so memorable there are numerous impersonators keeping his brand alive (although this is often turned into more of a parody).

Nostalgia also plays a big factor in building strong music brands. I will always love the Spice Girls because they were such a big part of my childhood. My parents have also passed on their love of bands from their childhood, like the Beatles and the Beach Boys, to me.

Its difficult to pinpoint what will make for a successful, sustainable music career. But music is such an important part of our lives - many people define themselves by the music they like (and dislike) - so I think its interesting to look at musicians as brands.

No comments:

Post a Comment