Monday 28 March 2011

"Anti Leafs" fans


The Toronto Maple Leafs have one of the strongest brands in the NHL despite it being 44 years since they last brought home the Stanley Cup. As a Canadian, I'm somewhat embarrassed to admit that I don't really watch hockey. I always cheer on Team Canada at the Olympics, and I'll watch the occasional game with friends (if I'm forced), but it just isn't my sport. However, I am always amazed at how, year after year, Leafs fans pick up their pride and continue rooting on the team that's let them down so many times.

I just read an article entitled "Some Torontonians Laugh at Leafs Nation" in The Toronto Star. It features quotes from people who love to hate the Leafs. My favourite is:
"I see them as a joke. You have to be over 50 to remember when the Leafs won a Cup."
What these "anti fans" don't realize is that they are actually making the Leafs brand stronger for those who do believe in it. As Patrick Hanlon writes in his book "Primalbranding":
"In order to have the yin of believers you must also have the yang of nonbelievers. The pagans. The heathens and idolaters. Part of saying who you are and what you stand for is also declaring who you are not and what you don't stand for."
A Leafs fan would never clothe their baby in a Montreal Canadiens onesie, or don another team's jersey. Once the Leafs are out for the season, diehard hockey fans may root for other teams in the playoffs, but its always half-hearted. And I've caught Leafs fans young and old wearing team t-shirts, sweatshirts, socks, and even pajamas at all times of the year. 

Leafs fans are certainly not fairweather fans. They stick by their team year after year, purchasing the branded paraphernalia and lining up to buy tickets for the games, waiting for the moment that the Leafs will succeed.

I actually think all of the negativity the Leafs get from "anti fans" encourages the real fans to continue supporting the team. Sure it is disheartening at times - the one and only game I've ever attended ended in boos and a couple of face painted fans throwing their Leafs flag on the ice - but it makes every win that much more significant. Actually, every game seems to turn into a nail biter for these fans.

Like I said before, I'm not a huge hockey fan, but this is an interesting phenomenon!

No comments:

Post a Comment