Wednesday 16 March 2011

Amanda Seyfried the singer?




I just watched this video (YouTube won't let the embedded version play on this blog!) of Amanda Seyfried singing her version of "L'il Red Riding Hood" and I was pleasantly surprised - I didn't know she could sing. When I looked at her profile on IMDB, I was even more surprised to find that she has actually received classical opera and Broadway voice training.

It seems like every young actress is either attempting to launch a singing career or a new fragrance, but this feels a little bit more authentic than the usual publicity stunt. This isn't the typical auto-tune creation or robotic sounding Paris Hilton-esque single I've come to expect. Its very simple; just Amanda and her guitar with a piano and perhaps some other instruments.

I think this actually fits very well with her brand image. Despite having some questionable acting parts (Letters to Juliet is 105 minutes of my life I will never get back), I still find her to be a very likable, down-to-earth seeing actress. She seems to be very dedicated to her work, having steady parts both on TV and in film since her big break in 2004. Amanda also isn't constantly in the news or tabloids for erratic behaviour, or flooding the television with product endorsements, so it seems like she is just singing because she enjoys it.

Its also an interesting promotion for her new film Red Riding Hood. Although the video says that it is not affiliated with the film or the film's soundtrack, it was clearly chosen because of it.

I haven't heard anything about Amanda Seyfried releasing an album, so this could just be a one time thing (for now). I think she could have a singing career like Zooey Deschanel's (a little less mainstream), but Amanda may just be showing the public as well as future employers just how talented she is while promoting her latest movie.

Either way, I think its an interesting move!

No comments:

Post a Comment