Tuesday 8 March 2011

A more mature Lindsay Lohan?



Lindsay Lohan has been a central figure in the media for several years now. Recently, her "alleged" thefts, court appearances, stints in rehab, and unstable relationships with her parents have gained more attention than her acting career. Throughout these various exploits, Lindsay has maintained her innocence, constantly blaming those around her, the most common scapegoat being the paparazzi.

I found this interview more refreshing. Lindsay seems like she is focused on her recovery and moving forward with her career. I particularly liked her response when asked who she would like to work with in the future:


"That's something I will be able to say when I've taken the steps I need to take to prove that I can be insurable again. I think that will come in time, where I'll be in the position to even say that because I don't think I am right now. I don't think that will be fair to just say 'Oh, this is who I want to work with' and expect that to happen. No, I have to build my way back up." 


I think Lindsay Lohan, even a year or two ago, would have been much more self-entitled and would have jumped on the opportunity to express what high caliber actors she deserves to work with. She does need to earn back trust, not only from movie producers but from the general public. Admitting responsibility is a good first step to getting back on track.

Lindsay finally seems to be realizing how much her actions have damaged her reputation as a brand. A brand mantra for her today could be "troubled, misguided celebrity" opposed to her brand mantra in 2004, which might have been "fun, young actress". She has a long way to go in changing the general perception of her brand.

Some steps I think Lindsay could take in revitalizing her image include:

  • Using a more "retro" image: at the height of her acting career, her hair was red, and I think going back to the natural colour will remind people of this time. She could also try going for a more natural, youthful look with her appearance overall.
  • Change her behaviour: although Lindsay said some positive things in this interview, it is hard to tell if she is really being genuine. If she doesn't want to be known for her actions in the tabloids, she should refrain from seeking out interviews or engaging in controversial behaviour like attending clubs  
  • Look for ways to gain positive publicity: I think most people perceive Lindsay as very selfish. She should try to involve herself in charity work or assist with causes that show a more caring, selfless image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment