Sunday 13 March 2011

Trump for president?


I just read an article confirming Donald Trump's is plans to seek a Republican nomination for the 2012 election.

"Trump says he has great relationships with businesses and political leaders around the world"

This idea doesn't really surprise me; the Trump brand has lent itself to television, real estate, and other ventures too numerous to count. However, I'm not sure that becoming president would be a wise brand extension.

I don't think entering politics is a good fit with his other ventures. Trump is essentially a salesman. While he may be able to sell himself as a politician, any decisions he makes in that role will be criticized publicly and will impact the public's perception of his other businesses.

I'm also unsure how qualified he is for the position. He may have international friends and political connections, but that doesn't mean he knows how to run a country. If he is unable to prove his fitness, he could tarnish his brand reputation. I know I think he's just being self-entitled - just because he's rich and famous he thinks he can be president. The public may not even take it seriously, as they may think its just another ploy for media attention.

It'll be interesting to see how this pans out...

No comments:

Post a Comment