Monday 14 March 2011

Royal Relevance


The Royal Wedding obviously isn't news, but what is surprising to me is the amount of media coverage in Canada. I have lots of family in Northern Ireland, and when I visited I noticed the newspapers were full of royal stories and pictures, but here it is a lot less common.

When I logged onto the Toronto Star website, I immediately noticed the "Royal Wedding" section. It's filled with lots of fluffy stories about things like Kate Middleton's weight, which Canadian city searches Google most for information about the Royal Wedding, and comparisons to Diana and Charles' big day.

I think these stories are a little bit much, but I do think all the media hype makes this a good opportunity for the British Monarchy to revitalize their brand.

I personally feel like the monarchy has lost a lot of their relevance in today's society. The Queen is aging, they aren't as involved in politics, and I feel like I only ever see them pictured at polo matches. However, the public has really taken to William and Kate, and I think that could translate into a renewed interest in the monarchy.

They have already established Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr accounts to complement the YouTube channel and websites. I think this is a smart move. These accounts are tightly controlled  (Facebook page clearly states "... any offensive comments will be removed") but I don't think anyone would expect anything different. I think these sites provide the Royal Family with more credibility, as you are updated with events they are attending, charities they are supporting, and the general work they have to do.

It was also a smart move to create an "official" website for the wedding. Although unofficial sites seem to have more hits on Google, I know I personally would rather get the official facts and photos. It also provides a great platform to share information about the monarchy, such as the social media sites, with people who might not otherwise seek it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment