Sunday 27 March 2011

Attack ads - hurting themselves?



I was watching TV with a group of friends when this commercial came on, and it sparked a collective agreement that these attack ads are going too far.

Personally, I never like ads that put down other products. It seriously lacks creativity - anyone can hurl put downs at an opponent - and I think it makes the brand look insecure. Overall, it seems like a dirty, last ditch effort.

When I watch the above commercial, I don't really pay attention to the comments that are supposed to make me dislike Ignatieff. Instead, I wonder what the Conservatives are hiding. Why can't they promote themselves? As a voter, I want to be given reasons to vote for a party - what are they going to do to make Canada a better place? It makes me think that the Conservatives don't plan to make any changes.

It also makes wonder why the Conservatives are resorting to such a tactic - they're attacking Ignatieff because he lived in America? I know lots of Canadians who have lived in the States. I don't think that will be a deal breaker for Canadians when they head to the polls. And this isn't a new commercial (I think it launched in 2009) but its continuing to get a lot of air time on TV. Probably too much air time. Its not news, it isn't informative, and I don't think its helping the Conservative brand.


No comments:

Post a Comment