Wednesday 23 March 2011

Personalize your gum!


Wrigley has just launched their first ever custom packaging with My Extra. Individual consumers as well as businesses are able to log onto the website, select a theme, design the package using custom photos and colours, choose from 3 flavours, and order.

I think this is a great idea, and branding it "My Extra" makes sense. Extra gum was launched back in 1984, so it has already built up a lot of brand equity and recognition. Adding "My" quickly and easily communicates the custom aspect of the gum.

I would definitely purchase the custom packaged gum for large occasions. Its perfect for wedding or party favours, or even to announce the birth of a child because it is so unique. I also think it would have great appeal for businesses. I had a co-op term working at RIM's Certification Program, and they were always looking for unique "swag" to give away at conferences that people would actually use and remember.

The custom packaging still has the "My Extra" logo at the top, so the company will still be recognized for the product. Customers can also take their designs and share them with friends via Facebook and Twitter, which is a fun, free way to increase brand awareness.

The pricing is a little bit expensive for gum ($4.99 per pack for 5-50, $4.49 per pack for 55-100, and $3.99 per pack for orders larger than 100), but I think people will be willing to pay. The only thing I have a problem with is the minimum order quantity of 5. I understand that it probably relates to the shipping costs, but that kind of limits the occasions that this would be appropriate for. For example, I probably wouldn't give someone 5 packs of gum for their birthday! I'm also unsure why they are limiting personal orders to 500. Some people have weddings with over 500 guests, and  I feel like weddings would be a big target for this product.

I really think this is a great way to differentiate in the gum market. I feel like gum is almost a commodity nowadays; you may be able to come up with some new flavours or add some dental benefits, but prices are relatively the same and no company really stands out. It will be interesting to see how this new brand fares in the marketplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment