Tuesday 15 March 2011

Pepsi goes back to nature


I just read an article announcing that PepsiCo has developed an entirely plant-based bottle.
"The bottle is made from switch grass, pine bark, corn husks, and other materials. Ultimately, Pepsi plans to also use orange peels, oat hulls, potato scraps, and other leftovers from its food business"  
Coca-Cola has developed a bottle with only 30% plant materials, and admitted it would be several years before they are able to develop a 100% plant bottle.

I think this is a great innovation for the Pepsi brand. Although I consider myself a loyal Coke drinker, I also have an environmental conscience and would definitely switch to Pepsi just because of the bottle. I don't currently consider PepsiCo to be a very environmentally friendly company, but I think this could kick-start a movement to change consumer perceptions and gain brand equity.

Currently, I consider Coke to be more socially responsible, as they are very outspoken about their support of the World Wildlife Fund. However, with this innovation and the improved Sun Chips bag, I think Pepsi has the ability to surpass Coke in this sense.

However, Pepsi will need to act quickly. I'm sure Coca-Cola will increase their R&D efforts to produce a similar bottle if Pepsi is successful. If Pepsi is unable to establish other green efforts, this may not be a sustainable competitive advantage.

Overall, I'm very excited about this development both for Pepsi and for society as a whole!

No comments:

Post a Comment