Tuesday 22 March 2011

The power of winning


VS.


Last week was the launch of Atrium Magazine's winter edition at Laurier. To drum up excitement, we decided to hand out free Starbucks coffee with each copy. 

Although we did have a successful launch, the free coffee wasn't as big of a hit as we thought it would be. When I asked one of my friends if she'd like a cup of coffee and a magazine, she responded:

"I'll take the magazine, but I'm going to Tim Hortons... its roll up the rim time!" 
I personally do not drink coffee or tea, and I also don't play the lottery, so I couldn't believe that she was willing to pass up free coffee for such a slim chance at winning!

Later that day, I had a group meeting where a couple of people were also drinking Tim Hortons. One person complained that she was craving Starbucks, but felt that she "had" to drink Tim Hortons while the contest was on.

I think the concept behind roll up the rim is great. There are enough small prizes (like coffee or donuts) that most people win something and feel rewarded. Plus everyone knows someone (that knows someone...) who won a decent prize; for example my dad actually won the camping package a few years ago and that always seems to come up in conversation around this time of year. I've also noticed that people's win to lose ratio has become a hot topic on the social media sites I'm part of. The losses actually seem to encourage people to buy more!

Roll up the rim has really become part of the rituals associated with the brand. Though I feel it only results in a short term sales increase rather than encouraging customers to permanently switch, I also think that discontinuing the contest could seriously harm the brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment