Tuesday 26 April 2011

Coke turns 125



... and their iconic "Hilltop" commercial turns 40. They've celebrated by updating the commercial and really playing up the nostalgia factor. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the new commercial online, so here's the original. I'll be sure to post the new one when I find it!

I saw the ad for the first time while watching TV with my family on the Easter weekend. My mom immediately started singing along, and afterwards my parents talked about their memories of the original commercial.

This prompted me to do a little research. The idea for the song came to Bill Backer after his flight was forced to wait in Shannon, Ireland for a heavy fog in England to lift. Many fellow passengers were furious with their accommodations, but the next day Bill saw some of the most upset passengers laughing and sharing stories together over bottles of coke and snacks. Here's some of what Bill had to say about the experience:
"I began to see the familiar words, 'Let's have a Coke,' as more than an invitation to pause for refreshment. They were actually a subtle way of saying 'Let's keep each other company for a while... So that was the basic idea: to see Coke not as it was originally designed to be --a liquid refresher -- but as a tiny bit of commonality between all peoples, a universally liked formula that would keep them company for a few minutes." 
Coke is one of my favourite brands, and is undoubtedly one of the most successful brands in the world. I think its because they are great at making memorable commercials that make people feel good. From browsing their website, I noticed they even have sections dedicated to stories, which are submissions from employees and customers, and "Coke Lore" to support their likable image.

Will Coke be around for another 125 years? No one can say for certain, but with such a strong commitment to their brand image, I'm sure it'll be around for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment